Here are some strategies I have used when online dating.
- Let your family or a friend know where you are going and who you are meeting. Give them a time that you expect to be home and call them periodically to keep them updated. Share the other person’s contact information as well.
- Keep the person’s profile up on your computer so others know.
- If their picture is different from the one on their profile when you meet them, take a selfie with them and then discretely text it to whomever you are keeping updated on your dates.
- Take a picture of their car and license plate number and send that to your family or friend as well.
- I met, at least initially, in a public place during the day. Then I didn’t have to contend with the other person having alcohol and it seemed to keep it light with few expectations.
- Arrive early and never leave your drink or food unattended. Even if you are going to the salad bar or bathroom, get a new drink. Replenish your plate as well after using the restroom. This includes at the bar if you decide to drink. I don’t recommend this, but it is up to you. When people drink, their decision making and reasoning skills are negatively impacted.
- Don’t overshare personal information such as your daily schedule and home address.
- Sit across the table from the person you are meeting. I don’t sit next to them. This keeps you safer with the table acting as a barrier.
Check out my book. It is called Shoes and Relationships. It is a fun comparison between browsing and buying shoes and how they might represent different relationships, both personal and professional. I share some of my personal dating stories for your reading pleasure. I think you’ll like it!
#onlinedating#datingtips #datingsafety #kimcubittconsulting